Skip to main content

*I went to Nigeria to meet the man who scammed me – 69-yr-old Swede woman


*An internet romance scam took an unexpected turn, writes
Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani.When Maria Grette first discovered that the "58-year-old Danish
man" with whom she had fallen in love was actually a 24-year-
old Nigerian "419" internet scammer, the 62-year-old Swede
was distraught. But, soon, her feelings changed.


"The most terrible thing was not that he had cheated me, but
that he had lost his innocence," she said.
She became consumed with what she describes as "a profound
need to make a difference to the people of Nigeria".
Ms Grette's relationship with Johnny (not his real name) began
after an evening of fun and games with her girlfriends, during
which they playfully created a profile for her on an online dating
website. A few years before, she had gone through a traumatic
divorce, and her friends teased her about finally starting a new
relationship.But when the fun of creating her profile was
over, Ms Grette, who works as an arts
teacher, painter and arts therapist, didn't give
much further thought to the website.


"I received messages
telling me that people
had contacted me, but I
never looked at them,"
she said.
Then, one day, she did.
"I still don't know why," she said. "It was like a sudden impulse
happening before I could stop it."
That particular message was from a man who described himself
as a Dane raised in South Carolina, USA; a civil engineer working
on a contract in England; a widower with a son in a Manchester
university.


"I was caught up by the atmosphere and by something in his
words," she said.
Johnny:  "I wish I could see through your eyes and see what you
like to see"
Maria:  "I like to see the truth, and often the truth is more
beautiful and greater than people dare to realize"
Johnny:  "You talk in parable´s. I can´t wait to see you"
Maria:  "I can't understand how you can think so dedicated of
me, when you have never met me. That scares me."


"We spent some time writing, then he called from a UK number."
Ms Grette, who had lived in different countries across Europe,
was surprised that she could not place the man's accent. She
mentioned this to him but didn't give it too much thought.
He told her that he was planning for his retirement; had Sweden
in mind for a place to settle; owned a house in Denmark
inherited from his parents; wanted to leave that to his son, Nick,
who was very attached to it, while he looked for a new home for
himself in Sweden.



"I wanted to meet him because I liked him," she said. "He had a
way and a sweetness I had never known in a man before. And
he was innocent in a way that puzzled me."


Ms Grette put all these qualities down to "an old fashioned
upbringing and an isolated life – living in hotels and spending
his free time on golf courses owing to much travelling".
After three months of communicating, the man agreed to come
over and visit her in Sweden. But before that, he and his son
needed to make a quick trip to Nigeria for a job interview, he
said.


Johnny called to let her know that he was at Heathrow Airport.
And to say that he had landed in Nigeria. He also got her to
speak with Nick. The next phone call was to tell her that he was
in a Lagos hospital.
They had been mugged, his son shot in the head, and they were
without money and papers.
Unfortunately, his bank did not have a branch in Africa, he
added, so it would take time to transfer money from his UK
account. Meanwhile, the hospital management was requesting
€1000 to proceed with treatment.


The request "Honey, I am in the hospital right now using the doctor´s laptop
to send you this message so you can know my situation. Honey,
if Nick dies I will also die with him, I have been crying, I wish I
could call you, I wish I never came here, I will never forgive
myself for bringing Nick along with me. I will call you with the
doctor´s phone and send you an email later if I have the chanse.


"Honey, I am happy to hear from you and I am still at the
hospital. The doctor said we where lucky we where not
kidnapped. The bank does not have a location in Africa, so it will
take time to get money and the management are requesting
1000 euros to proceed with treatment. Nick is all I have got and
I will not forgive myself if anything happens to him. I am
confused, and I do not know where to turn at the moment……"
"I will never forget how I rushed to the Western Union office,
trembling while I did the transfer," Ms Grette said.



"All I could think of was to get the two persons in Nigeria out of
danger." The plot developed after that initial transfer. Medical
complications called for more money. The doctors demanded
more advance fees.
Several thousands of euro later, in what she describes as
"coming to her senses", Maria realised that something was
amiss.
She stopped responding to his messages.
Three weeks after her silence, he called her and confessed. He
told her that he was not who she thought he was.
"I said I already knew that. I asked him to tell me his true
identity and he did." He was a 24-year-old Nigerian "419"
scammer. He had finished university two years earlier but had
no job. These kind of advance fee frauds are known as 419
scams in Nigeria after the section of the Criminal Code which
covers fraud.
He further described himself as a "devil" who had wronged "a
lovely woman".
"He said he had never met anyone like me before, that he had
been fighting his feelings for me for a long time. He said his
scamming mates had warned him about falling in love with a
'client', that he had ignored them because he trusted me and did
not want to lose contact with me."


The revelation From this point on, their communication took a new turn. There
were no further requests for cash. "The attraction I started
feeling was to the person who was revealing himself to me… It
was still him, but with a new name and different age and
circumstances," she said.


Johnny sent her a photograph of himself, but Maria was not
satisfied with that. "I wanted to meet him," she said. "I could
not live with this relationship unless it was adjusted to reality in
all senses."
Unable to get him a visa to travel to Sweden, she made up her
mind to go to Nigeria.
In October 2009, Ms Grette travelled to Africa for the first time in
her life.



"When I saw him at the airport in Abuja, tears fell over his face,
and I knew I had known him all my life."
Ms Grette described her two weeks in Nigeria as blissful, a
period during which she and Johnny succeeded in transforming
their romantic feelings for each other into a good friendship.
She met his friends, many of whom were also scammers. It was
while enjoying their company one night in a local bar that she
began to wonder how she could make a difference.
"I asked myself what I could do to prevent a situation where
healthy, good young men fall into this trap," she said.


An idea came to her two years later, in 2011, after she saw an
article on a Nigerian news website about an arts exhibition. Over
the past six years, Ms Grette has arranged for a number of
African artists to visit Europe for arts exhibitions, workshops,
conferences and competitions.
She has assisted them to source international grants and other
funding to advance their work.



She has also visited Uganda to give talks on art, and is looking
forward to another visit to Nigeria scheduled for later this year.
Ms Grette, now 69 and living in Norway, is elated at the
opportunity to improve the lives of these young artists. "Johnny
has given me more than he took," she said, "Without him, I
would not have met Africa."



When she'd visited him in Abuja, Johnny promised Ms Grette
that he would give up scamming.
With her assistance, he left Nigeria shortly afterwards, to study
in America. Although they have not met each other again since,
she continued to provide him with financial assistance until he
completed his degree a few years ago and got a job in the
American oil sector.



They still communicate frequently, updating themselves on each
other's lives; and last year, he bought one of her paintings
which she shipped over to him in America.
"He is very dear to me," she said.
"He has asked me so many times to forgive him and I told him
that the most important thing is to forgive himself."‎*

*"Source: BBC‎*

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

CAN seeks Buhari’s intervention in Emirs’ abduction of Christian girls

By Augustine Ehikioya, Abuja, …Protests hindrance of Christians in the north The Northern chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) on Thursday met with President Muhammadu Buhari and sought for his intervention in the reported abduction, conversion and forced marriages of underage Christian girls linked to some Emirs in the country. One of the latest abduction concerns Mr. Isiyaku Tanko of Warkaza community in Kudun Kankara Local Government Area of Katsina State, who accused the Emir of Katsina of forcefully abducting and marrying his 14-year-old daughter, Habiba Isiyaku, and denying her of her constitutional rights. Habiba was alleged to have been abducted on August 16, 2016, by an official of Emir of Katsina and staff in the palace, Jamilu Lawal. The Katsina emirate had however denied the allegations that Habiba was eventually forcefully married out to one Mr. Jamilu Lawal, who works as an aide in the palace, but said the girl converted to Isl...

Famous Warri rapper Erigga signs multi-million Naira deal with Emirate Empire

Popular Warri pidgin English Lyricist and entertainer, Erigga, has i nked a new record deal with Emirate Empire run by Anonymous M an and Associate, and the deal is said to be worth millions of N aira. Speaking from the set of his music video-shoot for his fo rthcoming single 'Cooperate', with Clarence Peters, shot at a l uxury Beach in Lagos, Erigga told his publicist that he's excited a bout the new deal because it came with so many goodies and t hat finally his new and old fans should expect epic moves from h im. Erigga Paperboi fondly called "King of the South" by his fans is c urrently the most sought after rapper from South-South Nigeria a nd was nominated for 'Lyricist on the Roll' and 'Best Street Hop' in 2012 Headies.
The Edo State House of Assembly recently amended the bill f or a Law for Pension Rights of the Governor and Deputy G overnor. The immediate past governor of Edo State, Adams Oshiomhole, and his former deputy, Dr. Pius Odubu, are beneficiaries. Following the expiration of their tenures, the former and latter w ill get residential buildings worth N200m and N100m r espectively as benefits. Other benefits to be enjoyed by the former governor are a pension for life at a rate equivalent to 100 per cent of his last a nnual salary among other benefits. His deputy governor, on t he other hand, is entitled to 100 per cent of his last annual s alary as pension plus other benefits. It is sad that this is coming at a time when the Edo State G overnment has a backlog of pension arrears and its citizens a re experiencing intolerable levels of hardship. Nigeria's e conomy has suffered a downturn and now is the time for g overnment to be prudent with its finances. Why not invest the money that has ...

*Averting another ASUU mega strike*

*A week ago, the Academic Union of Nigerian Universities (ASUU) served notice of its intention to embark on a one- week warning strike with effect from Wednesday, 16th November, 2016. Its President, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi, claimed that ASUU took the action after nationwide consultations with the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the Union, though the Minister of Labour, Dr Chris Ngige, insisted the Federal Government (ASUU members' main employer) was not notified.* *ASUU said its leadership came under great pressure from its members over pending issues such as the 2009 Collective Bargaining Agreement and 2014 Memorandum of Understanding, which were not properly implemented. These cover the areas of proper funding of universities (which went down to eight per cent in 2016 from 11 per cent in 2015, despite the fact that this year's budget was significantly higher at N6.06 Trillion compared to N4.4 Trillion of 2015); unpaid pension...

The unbelieveable history of MMM - A must Read

МММ was a Russian company that perpetrated one of the world's largest Ponzi schemes of all time, in the 1990s.By different estimates from 5 to 40 million people lost up to $10 billion. The exact figures are not known even to the founders. Russia MMM was established in 1989 by Sergei Mavrodi , [2] his brother Vyacheslav Mavrodi, and Olga Melnikova. The name of the company was taken from the first letters of the three founders' surnames. Initially, the company imported computers and office equipment. In January 1992, tax police accused MMM of tax evasion , leading to the collapse of MMM-bank, and causing the company to have difficulty obtaining financing to support its operations. Faced with difficulties in funding its foreign trade, the company switched to the financial sector. It offered American stocks to Russian investors, but met with little success. Later, MMM-Invest was created for the purpose of collecting vouchers during privatisation. This effor...

The 6 siblings that died of food poisoning, back in July, 2016, finally buried in Ekwulumili Anambra State, amid tears

The 6 siblings that died of food poisoning, back in July, 2016, finally buried in Ekwulumili Anambra State, amid tears It was all tears in the peaceful community of EKWULUMMILI in Anambra state as 6 siblings who died recently as a result of food poising were committed to mother earth today. What a wicked world..... May their soul RIP

KITAY (MTN PROJECT FAME 2nd RUNNER UP) LOSSES DAD

MTN PROJECT FAME SEASON 9 2nd RUNNER UP OKOTETE KITAY POPULARLY KNOWN AS "WARRI" YESTERDAY ANNOUNCED THE DEATH OF HIS FATHER... HE LAID TO REST ON THE 5th OF NOVEMBER 2015.. WE PRAY THAT MAY HIS GENTLE SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE. AMEN!! THIS WERE HIS WORDS ON FACEBOOK ''RIP 2 D MAN GOD USED IN BRINGING ME TO THIS WORLD...REV MICHEAL.E. OKOTETE...WHO PASSED AWAY ON D 5TH OF NOVEMBER 2016....I LOVE U PAPI...SEE YOU ON DAT GREAT DAY...GOOD BYE DADDY!!  WE PRAY THAT THE ALMIGHTY GOD WILL STRENGHTEN HIM AND EVERY OTHER MEMBER OF THE FAMILY.. THE LORD IS YOUR STRENGTH OUR STAR BOY " KITAY "

*Pastor Paul Adefarasin and The Experience 2016*

*With over 750,000 worshippers gathering at the Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos yearly, there's little wonder, gospel ministers across the world see this one- of- a- kind concert as a glowing platform for them  to express worship to their maker.  Last year, The Experience was celebrated in awesome style  and this year's edition is gathering momentum.* *Themed, "Revealing Jesus", the Senior Pastor of House on the Rock, Pastor Paul  Adefarasin explained that  this year's edition is to further reach out to the world with the message of the gospel of Christ. He emphasized that it is time Christians took the centre stage to spread the gospel of Jesus to the every part of the world. "Everybody regardless of race, culture, religion and others from other walks of life, are invited to experience God at The Experience "he said.* *Billed to perform at this year's edition includes, Don Moen, Frank Edwards, Travis Greene, Tope Alabi,  Micah Stampley, Cece Winans and ...